Migrating an application or an estate to the Cloud is complicated. Budget, Organisational, Technological, Human Resource issues abound. The following table is a summary of key factors which need to be assessed within a framework and methodology, of migrating assets or an estate to a Cloud platform.
|see url Factors||see url Current||follow site Cloud Systems|
▪ Adoption, Migration and Acquisition Cost
▪ Cost of Data confidentiality and availability loss
▪ System(s) documentation
▪ What is the current cost of maintenance of the system?
▪ How customized is the current application?
▪ How frequently do the application requirements change?
▪ Current HA, backup and business continuity plans (most likely these don’t exist)
▪ Is there documentation, on network topologies, architectures, code, applications, databases, schemas etc If not you need to do this first
▪ What is the cost of set up, subscription and maintenance of the cloud system?
▪ Can we move customized systems to the cloud – how much refactoring etc?
▪ If updates are infrequent, we don’t need CI/CD
▪ HA, DR, cold backup
▪ Relevant documentation which explains the architecture and OSI stack
▪ Complexity of current systems
▪ Compatibility with current Systems
▪ Availability and Accessibility
▪ Is the complexity of the current systems high? If yes, is maintenance taking too much of IT resource time?
▪ Are the current systems very tightly integrated or modular?
▪ How easily can the current system grow and scale with respect to the business needs?
▪ How critical is the application in terms of its need to be available and accessible?
▪ What kind of redundancy measures does the current system have?
▪ What parts of the current security measures are physical and location based?
▪ What is the expertise level of the current IT staff in terms of dealing with security threats?
▪ Will the cloud be able to support the complex systems in place?
▪ Will the cloud be able to seamlessly interface with the other legacy applications that are not on cloud? Or do we need a middleware platform?
▪ How easily can the cloud vendor /platform scale?
▪ HA, reliability, accessibility – how and at what cost?
▪ Cloud should improve security across the OSI stack including encryption, password/key management, access control
|▪ Top Management Support
▪ Firm Size
▪ Skill of IT resources
▪ Employee Buy-in
▪ Innovative Culture
|▪ Is there an IT and business need for change?
▪ Does the current system adequately support the current firm size and its requirements?
▪ Current skills and resources?
▪ Users satisfaction/dissatisfaction with the current systems?
▪ What is the level of technical expertise for the users for the current system?
▪ Is the company silo-based, or innovative and flexible
▪ How often does the organization experiment with newer ways of doing things?
▪ To what extent is the organization tolerant of failure?
|▪ How knowledgeable are the top executives in terms of the benefits and risks of moving to cloud?
▪ Is there at least 1 top Executive ready to be the project sponsor?
▪ Cloud skills and knowledge?
▪ How skilled are our IT resources in dealing issues related to cloud-based application?
▪ Employee impact and user impact?
▪ How will the Cloud change the org and its culture?
|▪ Industry Adoption
▪ Competitor Pressure
▪ Regulatory concerns
|▪ How does the organization’s current system compare to systems being used in the industry?
▪ How does the organization’s current system compare to its leading competitors?
▪ Do the current systems need to pass legal or regulatory audit
|▪ How far has cloud based application use penetrated into the relevant industry?
▪ Have the organization’s important competitors already adopted cloud? Are they seeing benefits?
▪ Will the cloud based system pass all regulatory and audit checks
|▪ Vendor Expertise/ Availability
|▪ Cultural fit with the organisation
▪ Skills, resources, deployment models (on vs offshore)
▪ What are the terms and conditions in the service level agreement with the current vendor?
▪ Industry and cloud expertise which is proven
|▪ References within the industry or in the particular application?
▪ Can the current terms and conditions be replicated or assured by the cloud vendors?
▪ Resources, scale, management capabilities